:”We’re always thinking up new problems for ourselves. Why not think up some happiness?”
Each day we spent awful amounts of time followed by negativity, either from ourselves or from people around us. We complain, because it makes us feel temporarily better to let our emotions out, yet it does more damage to us than we think.
There have been plenty of researches done on the influences of negative versus positive thinking. In many cases, it has been shown that negativity influences our health, relationships and codes our brain to subconsciously seek negative results and make up excuses. Heart diseases, digestive problems, headache and bad sleep quality, all also have been linked to negative attitude. It might not seem serious at the beginning but constant complaining and upsetting emotions, combined with unhealthy environment, are a recipe for depression. And this is when all the serious health and mental issues start.
However, this article is here to encourage you to think up some positivity for yourself.
Each day, you have an opportunity to turn your life around. And it might sound like a cliche but it is true. Single positive gesture takes as much as 1 second and can spark a chain reaction. Here comes another cliche – happiness do in deed come from within. No one else is going to live your life. No one is coming to save you, if you do not help yourself.
It is not difficult to be positive. Change is not difficult. All you have to do is be willing and open minded for the small positive impulses coming your way. What can be tough is letting go of daily doses of self-inflicted negativity. Letting go of laziness might also proof not-so-easy, for those who complain about their current status, yet are too comfortable or too stubborn to agree it’s action that bring changes, not wishful thinking.
If you are ready for a change and to take responsibility for your own well-being, here is what it takes to think up some positivity.
- Smile. Do not look for a certain reason to smile, do it right now. Smile where you are, while reading, listening to music,watching a video or go to the mirror and give yourself a nice smile. Don’t over think it, don’t bring yourself down with comments on pointlessness of it, just do it and enjoy while it lasts. Gift yourself with a smile like that every day.
- Regularly spend some time outside. Fresh air is great for the spirit.
- Exercise and meditation both bring calmness and peace to mind and body, helping you accept yourself, which again – leads to more positivity and inner happiness.
- Do not complain. Simply – just don’t. If there is something you do not like in your life, spend time to figure out a plan how to change it. Focus on the action. Accomplishment tastes really good and is really addictive.
- Stop caring what other people say. They won’t live your life for you but they will feed on your failures. Once they get too greedy with that and figure out what works to bring you down, they will repeat that action until you run out of any motivation to live your life the way YOU want it. Also, do not expect other people to behave the way you want them to. Everything people do is driven by their own desires and needs, hoping for them to read your mind and behaving accordingly is a road straight into trouble.
Article written by Dagmara Chen, a 26-year old entrepreneur based in Poland. This article is part of a series – The Lateral Journal.
Too busy to visit our blog every day? We get it! Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get our best stories delivered to your mailbox every Friday!