“I’m convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance…. Unless you have a lot of passion about this, you’re not going to survive. You’re going to give it up. So you’ve got to have an idea, or a problem or a wrong that you want to right that you’re passionate about; otherwise, you’re not going to have the perseverance to stick it through.”
– Steve Jobs
Often times, when chasing our vision we do not realize how much of an effort it will take.
Most of us give up half way… Or worse – give up right before we are about to succeed.
Hopefully, you will find quotes below useful or inspiring, when your spirit needs lifting. And you will not give up on your dreams.
- “It’s not that I am so smart, it’s that I stay with problems longer“- Albert Einstein
Just how often we blame our failure on not being smart enough? But maybe the issue is somewhere else completely. Think about it – have you really given enough thought to your problem before calling it “impossible”?
- “Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don’t recognize them.” – Ann Landers
Why we often give up on things, before we start? Because we don’t want to go through the hard work. It seems to be human nature, to want things to come easily.
- “To follow, without halt, one aim: There’s the secret of success.” – Anna Pavlova
How many of us are guilty of stoping of pausing achieving our goals, because of whatever the reason? Sometimes it was doubt, stress, fear… But once you stop, it’s more difficult to go back there.
- “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle
Most of us have people whom we idolize. We think they are so excellent and brilliant, just because that’s who they are and we will never achieve that level. Believe it or not, excellence is trainable.
- “Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.” – Newt Gingrich
This might sound a bit harsh but if you are not prepared to give more than you have, you will not achieve your goals. Success is not for people who easily get tired.
- “Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go.” – William Feather
There is always someone who tries harder than you. And until you are the last man standing, you might not win.
- “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” – Nelson Mandela
In moments of doubt, that is a good thing to remember. I bet, already on your way someone told you, that it’s impossible and you should not do it, yet you kept going and succeeded. Why give up now?
- “We will either find a way or make one.” – Hannibal
Perseverance is kind of force of nature that keeps us moving forward. Knowing how to use this force and create your own way, is the first gate on your way to victory.
- “A winner is just a loser who tried one more time.” – George M. Moor Jr.
Giving up can bring a momentary relief but the remorse that you did not try one more time, can sometimes be even harder on you.
- “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
And to close up this topic, do not loose patience. Sometimes you will have to go slow, sometimes you will be out of strength but even a little step forward counts.
So keep going!
Article written by Dagmara Chen, a 26-year old entrepreneur based in Poland. This article is part of a series – The Lateral Journal
Too busy to visit our blog every day? We get it! Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get our best stories delivered to your mailbox every Friday!