COVID plus harmattan plus whatever flu is going around is simply a recipe for disaster! It’s bad enough that we’re still battling COVID, but to have the harmattan as an added factor and this flu (which I think is a variant of COVID) all happening at the same time is a cause for concern and a wake-up call for everyone. Reports coming in from doctors and nurses state an increase in the spread of COVID as more people are being diagnosed with the infection. Also, because more gatherings are happening due to the festive season, and more people are coming into the country, it makes it easy for illnesses and diseases to spread faster.
So whether you have plans for a quiet or detty December, you have to protect yourself and, by extension, your loved ones. Especially if you go out every day, either to work, your place of business or for social gatherings. Many people are getting infected at work, so nowhere is safe, and if you get infected without knowing, your family members are at risk as well.
Here are ten tips to keep you healthy and protect against Covid, Omicron, Harmattan, and the Flu this festive season:
- Mask up! Wear your face masks, people. It prevents others from breathing on you or accidentally spitting on you when speaking, which advertently reduces the spread of bacteria.
- Stock up on hand sanitizers and use them frequently. You can get them in small sizes and put them around your home and in your hand/laptop bags.
- Make sure your environment and surroundings are clean, wipe surfaces often with disinfectants.
- Get a nasal inhaler to help keep your airways clear and avoid nose bleeds! I use “Moko or Rob”. Also, have Rob and Aboniki balm handy, or deep heat if you’re boujee
- Put on warm clothing. See this as preparation to move to Canada, lol. So wear your sweaters and jean-jackets and double up on innerwear! For the ladies, if you can’t wear warm clothing because you want to slay, carry a shawl or a kimono that matches your outfit so that you can throw it on when you start to feel cold.
- Drink a lot of hot cocoa. I like milo and cappuccino. Keep a flask with you at all times that contains warm fluid.
- Team “ILikeCold”, this is not the time to show yourself. The weather is already cold, so regulate your AC. You don’t have to sleep with it either; a ceiling fan will suffice.
- Team “ICanBathInTheOcean”, cold water does not bother me. Please use warm water for your bath during this period so it can warm you up.
- Don’t forget to moisturize your skin! Apart from your skin looking white, the Harmattan season can damage your skin. So invest in moisturizers and take some with you when you go out.
- Lastly, don’t be moving about with chapped lips, fam. Instead, get a lip balm and apply it frequently to keep your lips from breaking, as it can deteriorate into a wound and become painful.
Too busy to visit our blog every day? We get it! Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get our best stories delivered to your mailbox every Friday!