The human body is an archive of rouns; one that is still a puzzle to doctors and scientists about the details of its functioning. It’s not an exaggeration to say that every part of the body is a miracle. Here are some facts about the human body that will make you marvel.
- It’s possible for the body to survive without a large fraction of its internal organs. Even if one lose the stomach, the spleen, 75% of the liver, 80% of the intestines, one kidney, one lung, and virtually every organ from the pelvic region, one wouldn’t be very healthy, but would live.
- The saliva produced by the salivary glands can fill two swimming pools during lifetime.
- The acid in the stomach is strong enough to dissolve razorblades. The reason is that it doesn’t eat away at the stomach is that the cells of the stomach wall renew themselves so frequently that it get a new stomach lining every 3-4 days.
- The human lungs contain approximately 2,400 kilometres (1,500m) of airways and 300-500 million hollow cavities, having a total surface area of about 70 square metres, almost the same area as one side of a tennis court. Also, the left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for the heart.
- Everyone has a unique smell, except for identical twins, that smell the same.
- The nose can remember 50,000 different scents. Women are better at smelling than men, and will remain that way throughout their lives.
- It is a fact that people who dream more often and more vividly, on an average have a higher Intelligence Quotient (IQ).
- The fastest growing nail is on the middle finger.
- The colder the room one sleep in, the higher the chances of having a bad dream.
- Human lips have a reddish color because of the great concentration of tiny capillaries just below the skin.
- Three hundred million cells die in the human body every minute.
- Like fingerprints, every individual has a unique tongue print that can be used for identification.
- It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown.
- The longest recorded time anyone has ever gone without sleep is 11 days.
- The most common blood type in the world is Type O. The rarest blood type, A-H or Bombay blood, due to the location of its discovery, has been found in less than hundred people since it was discovered.
- Between birth and death, the human body goes from having 300 bones to 206 bones.
- The insides of the stomach blushes, too
- The brain can survive 5-10 minutes without oxygen.
- Tongue prints are as unique as fingerprints.
- Sex burns 3.6 calories a minute.
Culled from: Few facts from Realbuzz
This article was written by Alex Ndace; he tweets via @AlexNdace